INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC BIBLIOGRAPHY
The The journal Annales de Géographie was established by P. Vidal de la Blache and M. Dubois. As a sub-editor, L. Raveneau was in charge of the bibliographic section. From 1895 on and under his supervision, it was edited as a separate and yearly edition. It was a selective and critical bibliography.
The Geographical Bibliography was
published independently from the Annales de Géographie by the newly
created French Association of Geographers. Elicio Colin was named
editor of the Bibliography.
The name of the Bibliography was
changed to the International Geographical Bibliography in
accordance with wishes expressed at the Cairo International
Geographical Congress in 1925 and in Paris in 1931, under the
auspices of an international patronage
The 1947 edition was published under the auspices of the International Geographical Union (IGU) and with the support of the UNESCO
The editor resigned. The different sections were managed by geographers and their teammates. Pierre George had been in charge of the Eastern Europe section since 1931 and became the “de facto” director. As a representative of the IGU and thanks to his efforts, he maintained the international participation. All the topics and areas remained covered.1953
The CNRS started to support the publication.1954
From then on, sub-editing was carried-out by specialized librarians, including Françoise Grivot for 20 years.1969
The IGD was then managed by the Geographical Documentation and Cartographical Service (GDCS) of the CNRS.1976
A decisive stage: The Bibliography was computerized
following a project by Roger
Brunet. It comprised two products: a
printed bulletin and a bibliographical database. The keywords are
in French and in English. The INTERGÉO laboratory director became
the editor-in-chief of the publication.
A 12 member international evaluation committee was set up.1991
The technical management of the database and the printed edition of the bulletin are implemented by the Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (INIST).1996
The PRODIG laboratory maintains the expansion of the database and re-edits the quarterly bulletin on a two-yearly volume basis (references and index), which was previously edited by INIST.2000
The new international scientific committee is reformed and meets every two years.2009
The keywords are translated into Spanish.2010
The IGB internet site is created
The IGB Web site becomes bilingual, French/English.