IGB

Connexion

(Article of periodic en Anglais - 2011)

Document title

Allotments in Dublin 1900-1950

Authors(s) and Affiliation(s)

FORREST M. ;

Abstract

Allotments, more commonly called "plots", were first laid out in inner city Dublin in the early 20th century. Their purpose was to allow ‘plotholders’ to grow vegetables primarily for their own use. A range of state and voluntary organisations supported the allotment movement. Following the introduction of Government regulations in 1917, the number of allotments increased in an attempt to boost wartime food production. Following a decline in the early 1920s, the Acquisition of Lands (Allotments) Act of 1926 spurred further growth. However, many allotments were lost to housing schemes, while new allotments were located further into the developing suburbs. Dublin Corporation continued to provide allotments, especially during the SecondWorldWar. By 1949, however, the supply of allotments exceeded demand. This paper draws on government, trade and newspaper reports to consider the evolution of the allotment movement in Dublin during the first half of the twentieth century, illustrating the changing numbers of allotments and their location.

Source

Article of periodic

published at : Irish geography / ISSN 1939-4055

Editor : Taylor & Francis, Abingdon - ROYAUME-UNI (1944)

Millesime : 2011, vol. 44, no2-3 [pp. 265-290]

Bibliographic references : 2 p.

Collation : 1 fig., 2 tabl.

Language

Anglais

Localisation

Go to fulltext  En français :

Digital Object Identifier

Go to electronic document thanks to its DOI : 10.1080/00750778.2011.669136

Tous droits réservés © Prodig - Bibliographie Géographique Internationale (BGI), 2012
Refdoc record number (ud4) : 25992134 : Permanent link - XML version
Powered by Pxxo