IGB

Connexion

(Article of periodic en Anglais - 2013)

Document title

Locating the Hereford Mappamundi (Anglais)
Situer l'emplacement originel de la mappemonde d'Hereford
Die ursprüngliche Positionierung der Hereford-Karte (Allemand)
La localización del mappamundi de Hereford (Espagnol)

Authors(s) and Affiliation(s)

de Wesselow Thomas ;

Abstract

The Hereford mappamundi is one of the most informative and impressive world maps to survive from the Middle Ages. In order to understand its effect and significance, however, it is necessary to determine its earliest location within Hereford Cathedral, the building for which it was made. Having clarified the original framing of the map, which took the form of a large triptych, this paper argues that the whole ensemble was initially positioned on one of the piers in the south choir aisle of the cathedral. The precise manner of the map's installation on this pier can be deduced from the structure of the central wooden panel of the triptych, the only part that survives, and from written and visual information provided by nineteenth-century antiquarians. Hung in the south choir aisle, the map triptych would have addressed pilgrims about to enter the shrine of St Thomas Cantilupe in the Lady Chapel, serving as a memorable moral commentary on their life and pilgrimage.

La mappemonde de Hereford est l'une des cartes du monde les plus riches en information et les plus imposantes léguées par le Moyen Âge. Pour en comprendre l'impact et la signification, cependant, il est nécessaire de déterminer son emplacement originel à l'intérieur de la cathédrale de Hereford, l’édifice pour lequel elle fut réalisée. Après avoir clarifié son encadrement d'origine qui avait la forme d'un large triptyque, cet article montre que l'ensemble était initialement placé sur l'un des piliers de l'aile sud du chœur de la cathédrale. Comment la carte était installée précisément sur le pilier peut être déduit de la structure du panneau central en bois du triptyque, la seule partie qui subsiste, et des informations écrites et visuelles fournies par les érudits du XIXe siècle. Suspendu à l'aile sud du chœur, le triptyque cartographique aurait été présenté aux pèlerins sur le point de pénétrer dans le mausolée de St Thomas Cantilupe dans la chapelle Notre-Dame, servant de commentaire moral mémorable sur leur vie et pèlerinage.

Source

Article of periodic

published at : Imago mundi / ISSN 1479-7801

Editor : Routledge, Abingdon - ROYAUME-UNI (1935)

Millesime : 2013, vol. 65, no2 [pp. 180-206]
Published in 20130601

Language

Anglais

Digital Object Identifier

Go to electronic document thanks to its DOI : 10.1080/03085694.2013.784555

2013, Copyright 2013 Imago Mundi LtdTous droits réservés © Prodig - Bibliographie Géographique Internationale (BGI), 2013
Refdoc record number (ud4) : 27356271 : Permanent link - XML version
Powered by Pxxo