IGB

Connexion

(Article of periodic en Anglais - 2014)

Document title

The Occupy movement and the top 1% in Canada

Authors(s) and Affiliation(s)

BREAU S. (1) ;
(1) Dept. of Geography, McGill University, Montreal, CANADA

Abstract

This paper examines recent patterns of inequality in Canada, paying particular attention to changes in the characteristics of the top 1% of income earners. At the national level, the gap between the top percentile and the other 99% has widened considerably. Beneath such national-level figures lie important geographical differences in the income hierarchy: the thresholds, average incomes and socio-economic characteristics of the top 1% vary widely across provinces and cities. Among the most important spatial shifts observed is the growing concentration of high-income groups in energy-rich Western Canada, where Calgary has become the most unequal city in the country

Source

Article of periodic

published at : Antipode / ISSN 0066-4812

Editor : Blackwell, Oxford - ROYAUME-UNI (1969)

Millesime : 2014, vol. 46, no1 [pp. 13-33]

Bibliographic references : 3p.

Collation : 1 fig., 6 tabl., 1 ill.

Language

Anglais

Digital Object Identifier

Go to electronic document thanks to its DOI : doi:10.1111/anti.12044

Tous droits réservés © Prodig - Bibliographie Géographique Internationale (BGI), 2014
Refdoc record number (ud4) : 28163727 : Permanent link - XML version
Powered by Pxxo